Wednesday, February 18, 2009
by Wow Jones
There’s a revealing profile of Critic Armond White in the February 23, 2009 issue NEW YORK (Model Kate Moss is on the cover–Spring Fashion Issue) Magazine. No mention of Armond White’s book, “The Resistance: Ten Years of Pop Culture That Shook The World”, but a okay profile nonetheless. Sums up his career, his background and notes his…notoriety.
In the profile on Armond White, the writer Mark Jacobson covers:
– Armond White’s dismissal of the films SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, MILK, WALL-E, and the Romanian “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days”.
– Armond White’s BETTER THAN List where he offers alternatives to overpraised hyped-to-death films.
– Transporter 3 vs The Dark Knight and the noise over Armond White’s dismissal of the financially successful and popular (yet HORRIBLE) The Dark Knight.
– Internet coverage and response to Armond White.
– Armond White’s upbringing in Detroit and how it shapes how he looks at the world and movies.
– the kinds of films Armond White loved as a child.
– Pauline Kael and Andrew Sarris.
– discourse in cinema today.
– Armond White’s reputation within the critical community.
– the aesthetics of film reviewing (theatre vs a DVD screener?)
– Armond White on watching movies today.
– Armond White on Wes Anderson and Paul Thomas Anderson.
– Blade Runner vs…
– Armond White on Steven Spielberg and John Ford
– An anecdote of A Screening of Steven Spielberg’s film, Close Encounters of The Third Kind.
If this interests you, then check out the Armond White profile in NEW YORK Magazine.
–The Wow Jones Report
For those who aren’t familiar with this critic’s writing, you may want to purchase a new or used copy of his book, “The Resistance: Ten Years of Pop Culture That Shook The World.”